In a list compiled by the international channel CNN, Punta Arenas´ cemetery is consider in between the 10 most beautiful cemeteries of the world.

The Cemetery of Punta Arenas, officially Municipal Cemetery Sara Braun, is located at Avenida Bulnes, been declared as National Monument by the decree 499, in the Category of Historical Monument on November 26, 2012.

With its mauseleums and its park, the cemetery of Punta Arenas is one of the places most visited for the people who wants to know about the history of the city.

It was open on April 18, 1894, receiving some of the remains that were placed in the Catholic sector of the old cemetery (now Lautaro square).

Currently it holds a beautiful front portico of solid material, getting surrounded by Avenida Bulnes murals made of the same material. It was built in 1923 with the generous donations made to this end by Mrs. Sara Braun and Mr. Elías Braun.

From the beginning the idea was keep it always beautiful, highlighted by the monumental portico and the long pine avenues well achieved, adding to it the magnificence splendor of its ancient mausoleums, sober and well kept graves of the most diverse characteristics, the wrought iron fence, the infants graves and sectors for the residents colonies, the Fire Department, the Red Cross, the army and police.

The whole collection creates a rare beauty that has crossed borders with its fame, becoming a forced passage for tourists and legitimate pride for Magellan people.